March Nature Happenings
- Project FeederWatch continues, www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw
- Southwest winds bring migrating Turkey Vultures and hawks into the area.
- Spring Peepers, Wood Frogs and Chorus Frogs begin calling late in the month.
- Sandhill Cranes can be seen migrating north.
Photo by Glenn Dunn
- Killdeer and Great Blue Herons return from over-wintering in early March.
- Peak of spring waterfowl migration.
- Bald Eagles and Screech Owls are sitting on their eggs. Click here to read Rosann's blog on Bald Eagles.
Photo by Lisa Vreede
- Woodcocks are doing courtship flights in late March.
- Mourning Doves are nesting.
- Phoebe’s return late in the month.
- Goldfinches begin to molt into their brilliant yellow plumage. Offering fresh Nyjer Thistle seed in your yard will get them the proteins they need to go through this color shift. Order Nyjer Thistle online by clicking here.
Photo by Lisa Mager