Specialty Bird Foods
While a standard bird feeding offering of Sunflower Seed (or a sunflower-based blend) is usually the best place to start when attracting birds, using other foods can increase both the number and diversity of birds you see in your yard.
Made from rendered beef fat often mixed with nuts or other bird-attractive ingredients, suet can help attract a wide variety of birds. Suet is a low-mess food which appeals to insect-eating or omnivorous birds like woodpeckers, jays, bushtits, chickadees, and nuthatches more than the mostly vegetarian house finches and goldfinches. Suet is sometimes thought of as a winter-specialty food, but it can be offered successfully all year round. It is true that in winter suet becomes even more attractive to birds needing to replenish calories lost just keeping warm during cold temperatures.
Suet is available at a lot of stores. However, not all suet is created equal, and finding the best for your birds can be tricky if you just grab the least expensive option on the shelf. Look at all we do to provide your birds with the best, most nutritional suet.
- We use the highest quality food grade beef suet to ensure quality and freshness.
- Our suet blends are formulated with increased amounts of fat and protein to provide birds with a nutritious, high-energy food.
- Our suet blends include ingredients that are proven to be more attractive to birds - peanuts, tree nuts, fruit and mealworms.
- We never add undesirable fillers or unnecessary vitamins or minerals.
- We have No-Melt options for warm summer days
Stop by the store, to pick up some suet; your birds will know the difference.
Jim's Birdacious® Bark Butter®
Now every tree is a bird feeder with Jim's Birdacious® Bark Butter®! This spreadable suet has attracted 143 species and counting. Other Birdacious® Bark Butter® products include: Bark Butter® Bits, Bark Butter Quick Bites, and more.
Seed Cylinders: More Food, Less Time Refilling
Available only at Wild Birds Unlimited, our exclusively formulated Bird Food Cylinders are an easy and tidy way to offer your birds a wide variety of food. They also keep birds at the feeders longer because they have to work to remove seeds. So instead of birds swooping in, grabbing a bite and taking off, these cylinders give you a few extra moments of enjoyment.
- Low mess: our seed cylinders use many of the same ingredients found in our normal high quality seed blends, but use gelatin to stick the seeds together in compact shapes that alleviate many of loose seed's downsides. Since each individual seed or nut needs to be detached from the cylinder, birds won't sort through the food looking for their preferred ingredients or larger seeds - so less seed ends up on the ground. See more low mess feeding options.
- Long lasting: this same stick-togetherness means that cylinders last longer than the equivalent amount of loose seed.
- Compact: easy to place, easy to store.
- Variety: our wide selection means that you have just as many choices with cylinders and stackables as you do with loose seeds. Choose from No-Mess, Cranberry Fare, and Bug, Nut & Berry. We also have seed cylinders with hot pepper built right in so you don't have to worry about squirrels eating it all!
Add a peanut feeder to attract birds such as bushtits, jays, chickadees, woodpeckers and nuthatches. Along with seed and suet, all of these birds will eat peanut pieces, which are high in fat and protein. Peanuts in the shell are typically used for feeding squirrels and some of the larger billed birds such as jays. It is fun to watch the behavior and antics of birds that come to peanut feeders. Peanuts can be offered in mesh feeders, on platform feeders and in a variety of other specialty feeders.